Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Greatest Vending Machine on Earth

Just down the street from my apartment, my roommates and I made one of the best discoveries of this trip so far... well, maybe not for our wallets. 

A vending machine. 

But it’s not just any vending machine.  This vending machine is accompanied by two other vending machines in a room without doors painted bright orange.  The other two vending machines are so lame compared to this one though.  This vending machine has literally EVERYTHING an Italian could want or need on a daily basis.  Did you forget to buy balsamic dressing and now the grocery store is closed? This vending machine has it.  Have you just run out of toothpaste and now it is 9 p.m.?  Go to this vending machine.  The only Italian essential this machine seems to lack is a space for olive oil... though I wouldn’t be surprised if that had been offered by that machine at one point.  

The vending machine.  It has everything from shampoo to cookies! 
Some of the more interesting products.
The vending machine room always seems to suck my roommates and me in on cold nights after dropping off various friends at their apartments (since we’re usually the farthest point and we don’t want them to walk by themselves).  As soon as we see the orange glow coming from the little alcove, at least one of us will start making excuses for why we need to stop there. (“We could warm up there... Well, I am thirsty...”)  When we’re finally done, all of us have gotten at least one thing.  My favorite snack from the vending machine is Pannocche biscotti cookies and Nutella (which usually last me for a while after buying them).
Katie buys something from the vending machine.
The best part about the vending machine is not the various products it offers.  No.  It is the speed at which it vends them.  This machine is by no means fast.  It takes at least a solid minute just for the product to be pushed from its row, not including the time it takes for the part that grabs the item to go up and down.  Watching your product be vended is exciting!  The anticipation builds as you wait for the vending machine to go through its slow process in delivering your snack.  If you are an impatient person, this is not the right vending machine for you.  My roommates and I have found humor in this unique vending machine.  There are at least a few of these vending machines scattered throughout Florence, so if you happen to live near one, you can consider yourself a very lucky person... with a very unlucky wallet.    

Only in Italy. 


 Watch the video above (sorry for the bad quality) of the vending machine vending flour that I bought.

If you have any questions about my study abroad experience or my life at St. Michael’s in general, do not hesitate to email me (emurray@mail.smcvt.edu), Tweet me (LittleLizzie33) or ask me a question on Formspring. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Ciao! 

3 comments:

  1. The anticipation builds as you wait for the vending machine to go through its slow process in delivering your snack.
    Palm Beach Vending Machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This machine is by no means fast. It takes at least a solid minute just for the product to be pushed from its row. South Florida Vending Machines Services

    ReplyDelete