Tuesday, October 16, 2012

3 Hours in Montreal

Saint Mike's is pretty far north in Vermont, so one thing students can't miss out on is visiting Canada at least once during their time here.  Now, I'm a senior.  I've been overseas several times by now, but I have never visited Canada before now.  Why? I don't even know.  I guess I just never got the chance!

Luckily my roommate Hannah's family lives about 2 minutes from the border of the US and Canada (on the Vermont side, of course).  During our break this past weekend, she offered to drive my other roommates and me to Montreal for a night and let us sleep over at her house afterward.  It was the perfect opportunity to finally visit Canada and have fun with all my roomies! Unfortunately, Jill was not able to join us because she was sick, so Hannah, Leah and I made our way up to Canada on Saturday evening.

First, we stopped at Hannah's house to drop off our things and meet her family.  We spent an hour or two playing with Hannah's 2-year-old brother Max, petting the kitty Samantha, getting to know her dad and step-mom and eating a delicious home-cooked meal (spaghetti, homemade tomato sauce and fresh garlic bread).  Hannah's family made Leah and I feel right at home!

Hannah's view from her backyard! So beautiful! 

Leah (leaning left) and Hannah, my adventure partners!


Leah petting kitty, Samantha.

Soon, we made our way to the border.  The Canadian border police checked our passports, asked us a few questions like 'Where are you going?' and 'What are you doing there?', and then we were on our way! It was already dark out, and we were in the middle of nowhere for a while, but after about 45 minutes, we started to see bright city lights! The most beautiful view of the night (of which I was not able to snap a clear picture from the car) was heading over a huge bridge and seeing the city lights of Montreal reflecting in the lake water.  It was so pretty!

Once we got there, we found a parking spot and decided to walk around for a little while.  We walked to St. Catherine Street and explored a few stores.  Hearing French and other languages being spoken so regularly and seeing European-style clothing worn reminded me of my time abroad.  It was so nice to hear those other languages again and feel that same sense of adventure.  Finally, we stopped into a tiny cafe called "Second Cup" and drank cappuccino and chai latte.  Of course, a photo-shoot ensued! It was the perfect end to the night.

On the streets of Montreal! 

Awesome metro station.

Leah, in Second Cup cafe!! 

Yum! Cappuccino! 

Hannah and me in Second Cup.

Sipping our hot drinks and looking very classy.

Pooling our Canadian money.

Hannah on the street.

Hannah in front of a church on St. Catherine Street.

Hanging off a street pole! 

Leah looking adorable in front of a fence on St. Catherine Street.

The next morning, we had homemade pancakes and fresh bacon for breakfast and then took a trip to the Target in Plattsburgh, NY.  It was definitely worth the trip since I am obsessed with Target and there are no Targets in Vermont.  We also took the scenic route back to campus through the northern Vermont islands.  It was the best 24ish hours of adventuring I've had so far during this school year!

Mission accomplished! Photo courtesy of Leah Allen.


If you have any questions about my life as a student at Saint Michael's, please do not hesitate to email me (emurray@mail.smcvt.edu), Tweet me (LittleLizzie33) or ask me a question on formspring (lizmurray3).

Ciao :)

No comments:

Post a Comment